Author Topic: Magic Pie 4 and disc rotor compatibility  (Read 2795 times)

Offline Pippington

• Confirmed
Magic Pie 4 and disc rotor compatibility
« on: August 27, 2015, 12:34:04 PM »
Hi,
I have a Surly Disc Trucker and wish to have a Magic Pie 4 in the front wheel.
My front wheel has a Shimano Deore XT BR m785 hydraulic brake and it's great so I would like to keep it.
I understand that the Magic Pie 4 can be fitted with a 160mm rotor.

My questions are:

How straightforward is this? Will a non-Shimano rotor on the new Magic Pie 4 wheel simply fit into my existing Shimano calliper?

My existing rotor is of the "Centerlock" type and so it won't fit on the Magic Pie, so would a purchase of a Shimano rotor with 6 holes, be a solution?

The distance between the forks of my Surly is 100mm. Will the Magice Pie wheel fit without bending the forks?

With thanks,
Pippington

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Magic Pie 4 and disc rotor compatibility
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2015, 11:57:01 AM »
Hi Pippington andto the forum.

GM supply both 140mm and 160mm brake discs but I don't know if the hole spacing on the Magic Pie 4 is the same as the Shimano 6 hole discs.

The original Magic Pies had two sets of mounting holes to cater for two different bolt hole fixing diameters.
If the non-Shimano disc lines up with the bolt holes and is of the correct diameter it should be compatible with your existing caliper. Make sure the fixing bolts are not too long or they will damage the controller if they rub against it.

The front Magic Pie is designed for 100mm spaced dropouts so it should fit without any fork bending, so the services of Uri Geller should not be needed.  ;)

If your front forks are aluminium (or the dropouts look weak) I strongly recommend fitting some torque arms to cope with the Magic Pie's torque under load, and the opposite turning forces acting upon the axle fixing during regenerative braking.

Alan

« Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 08:37:32 PM by Bikemad »

Offline Pippington

• Confirmed
Re: Magic Pie 4 and disc rotor compatibility
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2015, 12:13:53 AM »
Thanks, Alan.
Very helpful indeed!
Cheers, Pippington