Author Topic: My two new Pies and my ordering experience  (Read 5275 times)

Offline RooGM

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
My two new Pies and my ordering experience
« on: May 12, 2015, 02:27:03 PM »
I'd like to post an update to my experience.  All my parts for the Magic Pie 4 and the Smart Pie (version 1 I assume as the site doesn't clarify) arrived yesterday.  I ordered on a Sunday and the order arrived 8 days later.  The piece I thought was missing from the order when I was waiting for it to arrive was the freewheel.  I was notified that it shipped a day after the other parts but when my main order arrived I found it in one of the original boxes, so everything did ship together and nothing was missing.  After about 8 hours I finished the two builds and I'm very happy with the results.  I have posted photos of the two bikes below. 

The front mounted Smart Pie is perfect for my partner's bike.  It's small, light, unobtrusive, subtle, not obvious at all and it gives her just the perfect amount of power to help her up hills and whizz her along beside me on our bike rides.  On 36v it tops out at 30kph on my GPS app on the flats.  My Magic Pie 4 is very nice too, almost completely silent, has a nice amount of torque, has no trouble with small to medium hills and tops out at 32kph on the flats with the knobbly tires. It is running 36v too.  I would love to go up to 48v but for now I have spent enough money on these projects.  The Magic Pie 4 is very heavy.  The bike is much heavier now and in some ways I'm envious of my partner and her Smart Pie because although before the build her bike was heavier, after the build her bike is lighter and easier to carry up and down stairs than mine.  But I'm glad I have the Magic Pie as I will be taking my bike off-road on some light trails near the local lakes and will enjoy the bit of extra torque.  It's also good to know I can push the voltage up for more power later.

Some things I don't like about the Pies:  The rim is very narrow.  This means the tube sits far from the inner surface of the rim and the valve stem barely pokes out of the hole.  This means I can't get my compact hand pump on.  There's not enough valve stem to grasp on.  I can only inflate with a screw on pump fitment.  The other thing I didn't like was that the cables are too long.  The battery cable can be cut down (but I didn't for now) but the other cables are just too long and shortening them would be a lot more work.  Still, too long is much better than too short.  I just can't picture what kind of bikes they thought these kits would be fitted to.  I guess they wanted to allow for every possibility, including carts and trikes.  But my biggest concern is the super narrow rims.

GM Canada got the order right and aside from the lack of responses when I needed advice on which freewheel to order and when I wondered about the shipping delay I'm very happy with their service.  They were kind enough to throw in a free USB cable for each motor and I really appreciated it.  Everything was well packed and in good condition.

For anyone moving their own brake disc over to the Magic Pie here's something to keep in mind.  Make sure the screws you transfer over are short enough not to touch internally.  Mine were too long and they touched.  This would have prevented the motor from turning.  So I used washers to bring them back a bit and give enough clearance internally and the problem was easily solved. 

I had no problem connecting the Magic Pie 4 to my laptop for editing the settings but I can't get the Smart Pie to connect or even get the USB cable to show up under ports.  I have emailed GM Canada for advice on this but to be honest I'm not expecting a reply so maybe the experts here can help me?
« Last Edit: May 12, 2015, 02:36:47 PM by RooGM »

Offline Giuliano

• Confirmed
Re: My two new Pies and my ordering experience
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2015, 04:38:28 PM »
Congratulations! Both setups look beautiful.

I have a few questions. How does Smart Pie feel? I'm considering Smart Pie 4, but it's little bit pricey so I'm hoping there will be sale soon. As an alternative, I'm considering Smart Pie 1 which is $150 less. Have you found any downside so far? Noise? Torque?

Second question is regarding Magic Pie 4 setup. Have you tried peddling without motor on? How much drag is there?

Offline RooGM

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2015, 05:07:26 PM »
Hi and thanks :)

Here are my snawers:

1.  I haven't tried the Smart Pie 4 but the older Smart Pie I have feels fine.  It's very quiet, but not virtually silent like the Magic Pie.  The noise is very slight though so I would not say noise is anything to worry about.  My partner was happy with how quiet it is.  The torque is less than the Magic Pie's torque and it doesn't have that instant oomph but it's plenty for relaxed rides on the road.  If you want to go off road or up steep hills without pedalling it would not be the best choice. It's really a compromise. It's so much smaller and lighter than the Magic Pie and it looks much less obtrusive.  The Magic Pie has more torque but it's huge and heavy.  So it depends on what you want it for.

2.  I find pedalling without any throttle to be absolutely fine.  I will be exercising this way and then using power when I want some fun.  I plan to pedal to the local lake where there are hard packed trails on which I will use a mixture of power and pedals.  Then I'll power home with tired legs. I haven't yet tried pedalling with the battery disconnected entirely to simulate a dead battery scenario but I will try it as soon as the terrible weather ends.  It's the law of new things: you get something new and you can't use it.  Bought a new kite?  No wind.  Bought a new telescope? Cloudy skies.  Bought a new bike?  Torrential rain. Bought a new TV?  Power outage.

Offline RooGM

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2015, 08:40:01 PM »
I got the Smart Pie USB working.  I was trying to use the Vector software when I should have downloaded a separate piece of software for the Smart Pie.  I'm really enjoying the Pies!

Offline RooGM

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2015, 10:54:30 PM »
I thought I would update this now that I've owned the Pies for a few weeks.  Both motors are working very well and my partner and I are enjoying our summer evening rides.  The installations were pretty smooth and straight forward. The MP4 is a pretty quiet, strong motor and the smart Pie is a bit louder and weaker but nice and light and minimalistic for a female's bike. 

The only thing I'm disappointed with is the customer service from GM Canada.  I should really say lack of customer service because since the day I bought the pies I have never had a single response since.  When the order was taking long to ship I got no replies when I asked if there was a delay.  None of my trouble shooting questions got replies and when I enquired about buying additional cells, that was ignored twice too.  It seems that the approach is that once you send the money, you're on your own.  You are completely ignored from that point on.  That's very poor indeed.  For this reason I would not recommend GM Canada because if you have any issues with your purchases or need any kind of support, good luck getting any.  The motors don't come with manuals and with a zero customer support policy it's up to you to figure things out.  Thank goodness for this forum and people like BikeMad. 

All in all I'm very happy with the products but just be prepared to be on your own the moment you place the order.

Offline Electronic nut

• Confirmed
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2015, 09:53:10 AM »
And I thought I was the only one that was having trouble with GM.  Your last reply explains my very experience.  I ordered the VEC-300 controller and brushless motor and a program cable for over $900.  Before ordering, I could go to their site and enter my info in the Chat window and they would instantly respond.  After the order, I have set and waited over 15 minutes and they never reply.  I have also tried emails to Andy and Kasen.  Andy did send one reply.  It said that I purchased the motor from Kasen and he should have to take care of problems.  He didn't.  MADBiKE  alan, helped me at least get the motor running.  I still can't connect to the software.  And as for a manual, how much trouble would be solved if they just had a MANUAL explaining a few things.
Live and Learn.
John

Offline Ron

• Confirmed
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2015, 03:21:30 PM »
RooGm and Electronic nut - you are talking about two different dealers I think.  I can only speak for GM Canada, Gary Salo.  I purchased a MP4, cycle analyst and a few other things from him about a year ago.  I had problems with the regen on my bike from day one (turns out that was just a bad brake sensor).  GM Canada was very good about getting my replacement parts to me.  I always communicated to him thru the "ticket" (http://www.goldenmotor.ca/ticket) system on his website and he would always respond in a reasonable amount of time.  Because of the bizarre symptoms my mp4 was having I was surprised that he didn't write me off as a idiot who didn't know which end of a screw driver to use.  We swapped out the controller, then the whole wheel.  In the end I (with Bikemad's help) figured out the issue was with the brake lever and he sent out the brake lever asap.  In my mind Gary is an honest guy that I will be buying from again.