Author Topic: Any update on Pedelec options with Magic Pie Edge?  (Read 3452 times)

Offline Bassman_steve

• Confirmed
Any update on Pedelec options with Magic Pie Edge?
« on: May 26, 2016, 06:19:52 PM »
Just thought I'd ask, since most of the info on the forum seems related to throttle control...

The goal is to convert my 2008 Kona Hoss hardtail mountain bike into a road-legal urban pedelec. It's a big, beefy bike, perfectly suited to my build (6' 3", 235lb).

The Hoss may represent some mounting problems, because of the way it's configured:
- Downhill MTB hardware, including oversized handlebars, seat post, stem, etc.
- SRAM hydraulic disk brakes.
- 7-speed cassette.
- Marzocchi suspension fork.

I spend a lot of time riding on the paved bike paths here in London, Ontario. As a result, I need a quiet unobtrusive drive system. I would prefer it to be controlled by my pedalling effort, rather than a twist or thumb throttle.

Motor-wise, the Edge looks like a perfect fit for my requirements, so now it's just a matter of choosing the right accessories.

What controller and sensors should I use to get a smooth, intuitive pedal assist?  I rode an early 36v Bionx conversion a number of years ago, and would like to emulate that smooth, effortless "magic legs" feeling.

Will I need special hardware to mount the display unit on the fatter-than-normal bars?

How do I go about triggering a motor cutoff from the SRAM brake levers (integrated brake fluid reservoir)?

Online Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Any update on Pedelec options with Magic Pie Edge?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2016, 11:46:16 PM »
What controller and sensors should I use to get a smooth, intuitive pedal assist?  I rode an early 36v Bionx conversion a number of years ago, and would like to emulate that smooth, effortless "magic legs" feeling.

I think the pedal torque sensor and Cycle Analyst will be needed to achieve the smooth pedal assist that you are looking for, but they are not cheap:

Click for more details.

Will I need special hardware to mount the display unit on the fatter-than-normal bars?

I don't know what diameter bars the Cycle Analyst mounting bracket will accommodate, you would need to ask Gary (GM Canada) for more information.

How do I go about triggering a motor cutoff from the SRAM brake levers (integrated brake fluid reservoir)?

Regarding the brake switches, it might be possible to adapt your existing brake levers by fitting a microswitch or magnetic reed switch etc. to sense the lever movement, but if you cannot easily adapt your existing brake levers, Gary also sells complete hydraulic brake kits:

Click for more details.

The above levers have an integrated brake switch to cut the power to the motor and engage the regenerative barking when the levers are pulled.

Alan

Offline Sam.Vanratt

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
Re: Any update on Pedelec options with Magic Pie Edge?
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2016, 05:36:54 PM »
Hi Steve
 in the beginning (2012) I started with the same intention: PAS only control. The MagicPie 3 (that was the top model at that time frame) was very sturdy at the EU 25km/h + PAS limitations. After my first MP III Problems (defective controller) was solved I used the frequency of my 12 pol PAS to generate a throttle signal (quite simple with a Frequency-to-Voltage converter). As It starts it's signal from the first movement it's much more easy to control the bike, BUT as soon as I need to be very  slow (train crossing, moving around obstacles, ... ) it helps to have a throttle in reach to get in control again.
Alan's suggestion Cycle Analyst is quite the best way, as it tooks a lot of sensor information and not only the PAS which is very crude with the typ. 6 pols. It might be a lot of money at frst, but pays out in the coming years. As I could not use a torques sensor (no chain/gear) it was out of question, but for you it might be just the right toolset.
In the meantime I switched to a optical sensor which reads a black/white board (which rotates) and delivers 120 impulses per turn, which is smooth par excellence with my F/V converter (just 5 pieces of hardware).
As I'm using Magura hydraulic brakes I bought an (inofficial) brake switch from a workshop at magura four years ago which works flawlessly front + rear since then.
Cheers
Sam
« Last Edit: May 29, 2016, 06:09:12 PM by Sam.Vanratt »